Thursday 1 June 2017

Days 14-17: Toronto


Spent my last morning in Ottawa working on my computer in the (former) debtors' prison, now the hostel breakfast room, then proceeded to the Greyhound station to catch my bus to Toronto. I thought I would be at the bus station too early, but actually I arrived just in time, because you don't just hop onto a Greyhound bus any more! You have to go through a security check, tag your checked luggage, get your hand luggage inspected by an officer and be scanned with a metal detector! I don't know when these security measures were first introduced, but if I had to hazard a guess, I would say it was most likely soon after a passenger got his head chopped off on a Canadian Greyhound bus. I don't recall exactly when that was, but the perpetrator has just been released from prison... I read about it on the news recently.
Nuff said 'bout that: these last few blog posts have been taking a rather gruesome turn! The other thing that has changed about Greyhound buses since I last crossed Canada on them is that they have wi-fi, and electrical outlets at every seat, so you can make up for the dullness of much of the flat Ontario scenery with your own electronic devices. In my case, I was able to get a good three hours' work done - on a five hour bus ride - I still do like to allow myself to take some time to stare vacantly out the window: one of the great luxuries of travel!
One thing has not changed: cigarette/snack/toilet breaks at roadside cafés. Ours was called The Log House Restaurant and it had picnic tables and sold a variety of generously stuffed sandwiches.


Upon arrival in Toronto I was met at the station by my friend and former colleague from Tehran, Mahmood.

With Mahmood at the lake
We worked together for a year and a half in Italy and a year and a half in Iran, after which he emigrated to Canada with his family. It was so strange to see them here, in a suburb of Toronto! The last time I saw Noushin she spoke hardly a word of English, and now here she is teaching Canadian children. They have been living in Canada longer than I lived here!

Noushin in the kindergarten class where she teaches
The day after I arrived the school had its annual barbecue and I went along to that. Toronto is said to be the most multicultural city in the world, and judging from the crowd of kids, parents and teachers at the school barbecue, it's true. More than half of them were Asian, about one quarter Persian - including the DJ, who played a mix of western and Persian dance tunes - and the rest came from an assortment of different ethnic backgrounds.

The school band

School barbecue featuring inflatable toys, DJ, hot dogs & hamburgers, and... 

...a shiny red fire engine!
Distance travelled on Day 14: 450 km
Budget: Bus ticket $57.63

Toronto seems to have grown a lot since the last time I was here. The population is almost five million - more than twice as big as Vancouver! It takes a long time to get downtown from where my friends live, in a distant suburb 30 km from the centre - and all the space in between is densely urbanised. But they took time out to accompany me into town and show me around, and I am very grateful to them for that and for their hospitality! I hope to be able to return the favour one day and have them over in Italy!

My hosts in Toronto - family friends from a LOOOONG time ago!

City Hall





Chess games at Harbourfront Centre

Downtown with Noushin

The Toronto Music Garden was designed in collaboration with Yo-Yo Ma and inspired by Bach's cello suite No. 1  

This is the Gigue

And this is the Menuett

Buildings in the financial district


In the financial district

Dundas Square: The Times Square of Toronto

Dundas Square
More evidence of diversity: TurbanUp in Dundas Square, held by a Sikh youth organisation
Free turbans for all!

Chinatown
Kensington

Gotta take a metro picture in every city! Love the TTC logo


No comments:

Post a Comment